Monday, October 15, 2012

Happy 10 years to The All-American Rejects!!!!

Yep, that's right. 10 years. Holy cow!!!

 Nick Wheeler and Tyson Ritter have been making music together since 1999 and started recording their debut album in 2001. However, their debut album (released on Doghouse Records) came out on October 15, 2002... so they count this day as their official anniversary!
  They re-released their debut album when they signed to Dreamworks Records, in 2003. This album cover might look more familiar to you!
  
Alright, now it's time to get all mushy.

I can't NOT help but get all mushy when it comes to The All-American Rejects. I've been fan since Nov/Dec 2002. It doesn't even seem like it's been that long. I remember them being in some magazine, with the headline "Artists to Watch" (or something along those lines). The article gave a bit of background info (names, ages, bands they liked/influences, etc), and to look out for their debut single, "Swing, Swing". I remember saying, "I'll definitely keep a look out for you guys..." A band who says they loved and were influenced by bands like Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Poison, Queen... (you get the picture) gets an A+ in my book. Especially a band coming out in 2002. THIS was the first picture I ever saw of them. A lot of win, here. Mhm!


Let's fast forward to... about a week or so later? I was sitting at the kitchen table doing homework and I had TRL playing in the background... they decided to "premiere" a random snippet of "Swing, Swing". Carson Daly didn't say much about them, other than they were a 'fresh new artist' and that you could now vote for their video if you liked what you heard/saw. They started it right at the chorus. I heard "swing, swing, swing..." and I immediately jumped out of my chair and ran to the television. It was love at first listen? I mean, they had already caught my attention... but that song... I thought it was amazing. And catchy. Also, Tyson was playing a Flying V bass AND a Def Leppard t-shirt makes an appearance in the video. Again, so much win. Not to mention Tyson's eyes. *sighs*

The song/video that started it all :)

 So yeah, from that moment on, I've had nothing but LOVE for that band. And the love continues to grow. I will admit though, out of their four albums, I prefer the first two the best. I'm not saying that the other two are crap, because they are not. "When The World Comes Down" (album #3) took a while to grow on me, but it grew on me! That's all that matters. Their most recent album "Kids in the Street" is a good album. A great album. It's different, but not a bad different. The more I listen to it, the more I love it. A lot of people have quit liking them because "they are too different now"... but I can't be one of those people. They have matured musically... that's all. They can't still be writing songs like "Swing, Swing" at age 30!!  
AAR will always be a band that I will love. I know always is a pretty long commitment... but I am absolutely sure of it. I endured a Warped Tour... in Fresno... during the SUMMER, and I've had two autograph lines cut on me... and I STILL dig this band. Mhm, that's love! haha! But in all seriousness, there are very few 'modern' bands that I love, let alone still love after 10 years. That says a lot.

Happy 10 years, AAR!! Here's to 10 more
(Image credit: Lauren Dukoff)

Peace, Love, & Music,
~Lizzy Lepp

No comments:

Post a Comment