Monday, June 18, 2012

Concert review: Scorpions / Tesla: Reno Events Center - Reno, NV (June 8, 2012)

Yes, I know, the concert was ten days ago... but here it goes! 

   Tesla ruled... and I'm SO glad they did! You can ask anyone, I was a bit worried... I had my reasons. Tesla only played 8 songs. Yes, 8 songs. Such a tease! Earlier in the day, Jeff Keith (lead singer of Tesla) told us that  going into this tour (it was in the contract), they knew they would only get 8 songs for this show... that this was a "special" show. We got to watch them sound check, and I knew right then and there, that they were going to rock. I have seen them a few times prior to this, and their performances were hit and miss... and I can honestly say that this show was a HIT! Dave Rude. The end. I'm just kidding... no I'm not... okay, well, only slightly kidding. That man has stage presence unlike anything or anyone I have ever seen. If you watch him for too long, you'll seriously faint. He captivates men too, as I saw some guys in the audience also stare at him in awe. *cough BEAST cough* Frank Hannon shredded, as usual. That man is perfection. Jeff Keith brought his 'A' game. Crisp, clean vocals, he sang all the words... he completely owned that stage! My only gripe was their sound guy... I don't know why, but midway through their sets, the vocals become louder than the music, and Mr. Keith sounds like a chipmunk. That irritates the hell out of me, and it doesn't make my ears happy. The set list... why didn't I take a picture of the set list?!?! Oh, that's right... probably because a few members of their road crew need to lighten up a bit. Yeah, I said it. Any time you go anywhere near their crates and stuff backstage, they give you the stare down. I guess they have to, to a point... but when it's obvious that you aren't a threat, they should leave you alone. Period.  Out of those 8 songs, they pretty much played their "hits"... or singles, I should say? "Cumin' Atcha Live", "Signs", "Modern Day Cowboy", "Heaven's Trail" (my favorite!), "Little Suzi" (another favorite!), "Love Song", "Hang Tough" and "Edison's Medicine". By golly, that's 8! ... but they're not in order. Again, such a tease! I wanted more... and I'm pretty sure other people in the crowd wanted more too!!
  
   SCORPIONS. SCORPIONS... DO THEY REALLY HAVE TO RETIRE?!?!?!       The show starts with an intro... fully equipped with video screens. The intro isn't too spectacular, but it gets you ready, and it gets your blood pumping... you know they're about to come onto the stage! And when they come onto the stage, BOOM!!! They will rock your face off. Hot damn. "Bang bang rock with the gang... bang bang rock with the gang... hail hail a sting in the tail". Mhm they open up the show with "Sting in the Tail"... let me tell you now, at that point, you're not just getting stung in the tail. After every song, I kept muttering, "They don't need to retire..." Maybe emotionally and physically they do, but these dudes STILL have it. They still kick people's asses, and they know it. Rudolf is still full of energy... I don't know how he does it? For a man his age, that's pretty darn impressive. Matthias still shreds... and continues to make women (of all ages) want to throw their panties (and whatever else) on stage. How is he almost 57?? Seriously... how? I don't believe it. I don't. Homeboy looks like he's 35... at least. Klaus... Klaus is just as adorable as ever... and still has the pipes that put everyone else to shame. He might not sound like he did 30, or even 20 years ago... but he still kicks your ass. Pawel... he still has that one onstage facial expression. That would make a really fun drinking game... every time he gives the constipated look, drink one up!

   Set list? Don't mind if I do! It's pretty much the same generic U.S. set list... give or take a few songs. Oh, oh! They've added 2 rare gems to the set! (and by rare, I mean songs that don't normally get played in this country.)
 
 Intro
Sting In the Tail
Make It Real
Is There Anybody There?
The Zoo
Coast to Coast
Loving You Sunday Morning
Wind Of Change
The Best Is Yet to Come
Send Me An Angel
Holiday
Raised On Rock
Tease Me, Please Me
Hit Between the Eyes
Kottak Attack (Drum solo)
Black Out
Six String Sting (Matthias solo)
Big City Nights
Still Loving You
No One Like You
Rock You Like A Hurricane

   Soooo did you recognize the 2 gems?? If you didn't... "Is There Anybody There?" and "Hit Between the Eyes". People went nuts for "Anybody"!! But not so much for "Hit"... shame on them. I even heard one guy say, "What album is this song from?" Dude. *face palm*
And yes, you see correctly... 5 ballads in the set. 5. I know. And 4 of them RIGHT IN A ROW. Again, I know. That's pretty much my only gripe... having 4 ballads in a row is a total crowd killer. That's when people go to the restroom and/or go get more beers. Which is a shame... because they end up missing "The Best is Yet to Come"... and people need to be in their seats when that song is being played... be sure you have a tissue or 2 with you, because you will weep. I guarantee it... if you don't, there's something wrong with you. Another thing that has to GO, is that damn drum solo. Yes, drummers, feel free to throw tomatoes at me... until you actually experience it for yourself. The thing drags on, and onnnnn. And they're still using the same video footage from 2 years ago, which features James Kottak and his EX-wife recreating different Scorpions album covers. Ha. That's gotta make him feel real good. Although, I will say this, the drum solo at this show wasn't as long as the others I've seen... thank god. But other than that, flawless. Absolutely flawless.  They started this tour off with a BANG! They kick ass and take names. The show seems like it goes by incredibly fast... but like they say, 'time flies when you're having fun'... and Scorpions shows are nothing but fun! I can't stress this enough: If they're in your area this summer, GO SEE THEM. GOOOOOOOO!!!!!!



Peace, Love, & Music,
Lizzy Lepp

 

No comments:

Post a Comment