Thursday, June 28, 2012

Concert review: Scorpions / Tesla: Thomas & Mack Center - Las Vegas, NV (June 23, 2012)

This was our 5th and final show... and I can honestly say, it was the perfect ending to an epic adventure!!

  This show was absolutely amazing. AMAZING! I had previously stated that San Diego had been my favorite show so far, but I think that award now goes to the Vegas show. Actually, I'm quite sure of it. My goodness... my goodness! Where do I even begin? I think I'll begin with the venue size. I've never been to the Thomas & Mack center before, and when I walked in, the first thing I said was, "This is it?!" To me, the place seemed tiny... maybe because we had just come from the Staples Center the night before? I don't know, but I knew it was going to have a good, high-energy crowd. The floor was packed with people, the lower level was packed with people (with maybe a few empty seats here and there), the upper level had its fair share of people...
    
   Tesla... that was probably one of my favorite performances I've seen out of the five shows we've seen this tour... and there wasn't hardly anyone there to see it. Apparently, the tickets/internet said the show was supposed to start at 8pm? Well, they started earlier than that. I don't know the exact time they went on, but they were done by like 8:10pm? A lot of people missed them... and a lot of people were pissed that they had missed them. I don't blame them for feeling that way, Tesla killed it once AGAIN!! The majority of the people were actually on their feet and rocking out this time!! But of course, there were the few expected party poopers who sat down the entire time and looked extremely bored. Those people honestly baffle me. Tesla has been owning it night after night, nobody should be sitting down (unless you physically have to) while they are performing. Nobody. Nothing different in the set list: Cumin' Atcha Live, Edison's Medicine, Hang Tough, Heaven's Trail, Signs, Love Song, Modern Day Cowboy, and Little Suzi. I normally point out the "highlights" of the set, but for this performance, everything was a highlight. Seriously, everything. "SCHOOL OF ROCK!!!"
   
   The Scorpions... waiting for the Scorpions was bittersweet. One of the many thoughts that were going through our heads was: 'This will be our final Scorpions show of the tour... and maybe even forever.' That's not a good thought. Not at all.
Then the intro starts... at that point, everything that's going through your head suddenly disappears, and you enter the rock zone. Everything after that is pure epicness. Honestly, "epic" is the only word I can use when describing a Scorpions concert. (My Mother probably just had a heart attack. I'm hoping she didn't. haha!) From the moment they run on stage, you know they are going to rock your face off. It was almost like watching the Staples Center performance all over again, except they had even MORE energy than they had the night before. They brought the pyro again... the massively hot and massively LOUD, pyro. I'm glad I had ear plugs this time, because I probably would've suffered from another round of hearing loss, especially from where we were standing. Once again, the guys were full of smiles. You can tell they are truly grateful and thankful for their fans. Sparkles did not leave their eyes for the entire concert (well, I could only see Matthias', Klaus' and Pawel's eyes. Rudolf wears sunglasses). Matthias is SO happy. Genuinely happy. I know I said it in my previous blog, but he is seriously the happiest one up there... his happiness lights up the place. And Rudolf... does that man ever slow down? I want his energy... he is absolutely crazy!
   Nothing new in the set list... they left out "Rhythm of Love" and kept the 4 ballads in a row thing. Normally, I would gripe a little about this, but the entire show was perfection... and for this particular show and this particular crowd, 4 ballads in a row worked. No complaints here.


   In my previous blog (Staples Center) I gushed a lot about the energy and emotion from the crowd. Well, I need to do that again with this crowd. Like I said, this venue is rather small... this show felt somewhat intimate. I was able to see a lot more of the crowd this time, and this crowd almost mirrored the Staples Center crowd from the night before... only it was a much smaller crowd. That right there should tell you something. Everyone was rocking out to every song.... singing every lyric (or attempting to)... dancing... all of this without a care in the world. The energy in that place was ridiculous!! I love emotionally-charged rock concerts... it brings a strong sense of unity. And again, the Scorpions felt it. During the ballad portion, there wasn't a dry eye in that crowd... at least from what I could see (couldn't see much of the upper 200 level.) Men and women... bawling their eyes out... mostly during "Wind of Change", "Send Me An Angel", and "The Best Is Yet to Come"... that was a very powerful moment. You could feel the love in that venue. People don't want them to retire... they don't want them to go away... and again, it showed. Matthias full-out cried, too... right after "The Best Is Yet to Come"... and I don't just mean watery eyes, again. I'm talking tears running down his face with a quivering lip... that pretty much killed my mother and I. He also cried after "Big City Nights"... again, that killed us. The thought of it being the last time we'll ever get to see them, kicked in again... but that still didn't stop us or anyone else from rocking out. The block of "Raised on Rock", "Tease me Please Me", and "Hit Between the Eyes" right after the ballad moment is absolutely bad ass. It lifts you back up again, and you just go completely nuts. The drum solo... "Kottak Attack"... I think I've finally become immune to it? I can almost completely block that out now. At this point, I just try and focus on the albums that appear on the video screens...
Look at that face.
   
   The final update on the "Pawel constipation face game": the Gene Simmons complex that he had developed at the Staples Center wore off 4 songs into the show. He's back doing his try-hard 'rock n roll' face... the only face he knows how to make. All you can do is laugh and shake your head, it's obviously here to stay.
   
   I am SO glad we went to this show. This was seriously one of the greatest shows I have ever been to!! This was our last show... and in my eyes, the Scorpions are going out with a BANG!! They should honestly reconsider the whole 'retirement' thing... they don't need to retire. Not yet.
Everything about that night was absolutely amazing. Thank you, Scorpions.

 I'm going to end this blog a little differently than usual. I'd like to give a massive shout out to the Scorpions' road crew. Without those guys, none of this would even be possible. They don't get nearly enough credit for what they do... I think a lot more people should acknowledge them and the work that they do... soooo, thank you!! Thank you for all that you do, sCREWpions!! They are truly an amazing group of people, and it's always a blast hanging out with those guys!!!






Peace, Love, & Music,
Lizzy Lepp



  




 


No comments:

Post a Comment