Friday, June 22, 2012

Concert review: Scorpions/Tesla: Valley View Center Arena - San Diego, CA (June 20th, 2012)

   Soooo this was my 3rd time seeing  them on this tour... and I must say, this show was, by far, my favorite!!!  Too many random people backstage at this show, but that didn't even matter...  the randomness was actually kind of  funny. We ("we" being my Mother and I) got to watch the  show from side stage again!!! We haven't watched from side stage since their last tour. The view was KILLER!!! Matthias' side, in front of the barricade from almost a diagonal angle... we got some pretty kick ass pictures this time!!! Unlike my previous blogs, I'm going to share a few of  those pictures. But let's get to the review!

   Tesla KILLED it again!!!! They went out and rocked that stage!!!! Yet again, there were far too many people sitting down during their performance. I know the doors opened about 30 minutes later than they were supposed to, people were probably tired of standing outside waiting for them to open, but still. Again, when Tesla is on stage, you STAND. When they're on stage kicking ass, you STAND. That should be a rule or something... no, it should be a given. Come on now!!! Okay, so the first show of the tour, they played 8 songs... and have since averaged about 9 songs per show. Well, they're back playing 8 again, or at least that was the case for this show. Maybe because they had to  start a bit late? I don't know? But when I saw the set list, I saw that it said "Mama's Fool"... and I went nuts. I love that song, it's one of my fave Tesla tunes!!! From what I've heard they've been alternating that one in the mix every other show. Unfortunately, however, they didn't end up playing it. I went nuts, but not in a good way :( The highlights of their set are still "Heaven's Trail", "Hang Tough", "Love Song", and "Little Suzi". I really wish they'd put "What You Give" in their set... I really, really, wish they would!!


Here's the set list :)

   The Scorpions... ah, yes, the Scorpions. I've mentioned that this was my favorite show so far, yes? Well, only because it was!!! They were FULL of energy, more so than before, and they sounded absolutely amazing!!!! Rudolf was running all over the place, Matthias was running all over the place, doing more kicks/jump kicks and spins as he normally would... Klaus was rocking hard... running around, and was full of smiles. Pawel was nuts. Seriously, he was crazy. He's the king of stupid, try-hard, "rock star" faces. The people in the front row on Matthias' side got it the most... and the people in the VIP/passes section. It actually became annoying... really, really, annoying. Actually, obnoxious is more like it. It was like dude, we get it, now stop. Please. Oh, and if you've read my other reviews, if you were to play the "constipation face" drinking game, you would've been drunk by the 2nd song ("Make It Real")... I'm not kidding. haha! Klaus threw out like three rounds of drum sticks, and people went berzerk over trying to catch them... people were pushing people out of the way, and trying to grab it out of their hands. Same with trying to catch guitar picks. Oh, and not to mention a fight broke out near the front of the stage... it crashed through the front side barricade, and almost knocked me and the people around me over. Drunken, grown men over 40 fighting at a rock  concert... ooooh, so bad ass. Not.    
   There's been a bit of a change in the set list since the beginning of the tour... when the tour started out, they had 5  ballads, 4 of which were right in a row. Well,  after about the  2nd or 3rd show, they've changed it up a bit. I've stated before that they intended to perform "Rhythm of Love" since the tour opener, but it didn't happen. Well, now it's happened. Every other night, they add "Rhythm of Love " into the mix... however, by adding that, they'd take out "The Best Is Yet To Come." Really, I'm not joking. Now, I've said that they needed to take out at least one ballad... but not that one. That song NEEDS to be in the set list, it just needs to be. It's one of the highlights. For this show, however, they  played BOTH "Rhythm" AND "BEST"... YES!!!!  They nixed "Send Me An Angel" from the list... the flow and energy increased greatly because of that. I'm not saying 'Angel' is a bad song, because it isn't... rock fans just don't want  5  ballads at a rock show, let alone 4 in a row.

Set list: (courtesy of Malte Krug) :)


   The show was SO fantastic, energy-driven, and just incredibly bad ass, that the drum solo didn't even  bother me this time. It didn't even seem like it lasted forever. The highlights of the set? Everything!!!
 I'm repeating myself, and I don't mind... if you have the chance, and they're coming near your town, GO SEE THEM. GO!!! This tour KICKS ASS!!!





Peace, Love, & Music, 
Lizzy Lepp




No comments:

Post a Comment