Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Remembering Michael Hutchence...

Michael Kelland John Hutchence January 22, 1960-November 22, 1997

I'm wearing my INXS shirt today. It's November 21st here in America, but it's November 22nd in Australia. Michael Hutchence died sometime in the A.M. (somewhere between 7am and 11:50am) on November 22nd, 1997 (Australian time)... which still would've been November 21st our time. Make sense? Yes? No? Maybe? Well, we're in the same boat... because for the most part, this confuses me too. I start the honoring/remembering (whatever you prefer to call it) on the 21st... and it lasts for two days. This year, Thanksgiving "turkey day" lands on November 22nd, so I have to write this blog today instead, and do all of the core festivities today. That should be okay, because of the time difference... I think?! I'll try to do as much as I can tomorrow... but we'll see how that goes.

I hate the feeling I have during these two days. It feels like someone has kicked me in the gut. For the entire two days. 

Every year, it's the same tradition: I wear an INXS shirt, listen to INXS for most of the two days, watch their music videos, and watch their "Live Baby Live" concert DVD. Yeah, I take this very seriously. As much as I hate this day and the 22nd, it's all about keeping Hutch's memory and spirit alive, as well as his legacy. Just because he's gone, he shouldn't be forgotten. I usually get some sort of flack for it, but zero f*cks are given.

INXS is one of my favorite bands... Michael Hutchence INXS. I love a lot of bands, but INXS will always, always be in the top 3. Mhm! Always. Michael Hutchence was f*cking fabulous. FABULOUS. Where should I begin? I'll start with his voice. His voice = sex. If sex had a voice, it'd be Michael Hutchence's. I'm pretty damn sure of it. Not only did he have sex for a voice, but he also had the voice of an angel. It's just perfect. It's smooth, silky, sexy/sensual, sultry... and at times, haunting. He will forever be my favorite vocalist. I have a few favorite vocalists, but he's definitely #1. As far as overall frontmanship goes, Michael will forever be near the top of my list for that, too. Very few frontmen beat him in my world, I would say Freddie Mercury being the only one. He gets compared to Jim Morrison and Mick Jagger... and I see the comparisons. But they're only minor comparisons; he wasn't either of them, he was just Michael Hutchence. A white dude who had soul and swagger. Songwriting... let's go in that direction! His lyrics are absolutely amazing, and absolutely beautiful. Between him and Andrew Farriss... that is some superb songwriting right there. Hutch and Andrew are my 2nd favorite songwriting duo... only behind Lennon/McCartney. I am dead serious. 
I guess I can talk about his looks... he was alright. ha! NO! That man was absolutely gorgeous. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!! He was sex on a stick. Just... beautiful. Everything about him was beautiful; inside and out. He was just special. Unique. He was one of a kind. 

I also liked his personality. I like the adorably mysterious thing he had going... the sexy yet sweet charm... wild yet shy... his sensuality, and the way he moved. Just, everything. He was just it. He was the ultimate rock star. Whenever someone asks me what my definition of a rock star is, I tell them, Michael Hutchence. He was a rock god and will always be a rock god.

He's gone, but I will always adore him, and he will always fascinate me. He was just so cool. Too cool.

Rest In Peace, Hutch... my Aquarian brother

 Now let's jam!! Here are just a *few* of my fave tunes :)
 (I'll be posting my INXS Spotify playlist tomorrow!)

My favorite INXS song!










Peace, Love, & Music,
~Lizzy Lepp